Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Tree Grows in Wayne

Wow. I have not posted in this blog in an obscene amount of time. A lot of things have changed. I am now no longer in high school, which is so bizarre. It honestly feels like I am at a sort of summer camp and I will have to go to "real school" in a few weeks. The feeling is slowly going away. I think I will continue to feel this was until the first snow day or so. Anyway, college is so much better than high school. I just like the way that the professors are able to make me think more. Maybe this means I will post more! (Although it isn't very likely)

Yesterday in my Bio class, my professor referenced "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I am pretty sure that I was the only one that had read it, but even I don't remember it well. I read it freshman year of high school, so it really isn't that surprising.

I don't remember much from the book, aside from the fact that I didn't enjoy it much. I don't even remember why it was titled the way it was. What I do remember is that the family in it was very poor. The kids in the family would have coffee with dinner, but then they would dump all of it out after dinner. It would make them feel rich by being able to waste something.

It makes me think about society now, because there is never a day that goes by that nobody is throwing food away. I know that it doesn't affect me when people do, but I feel that it should. Being able to throw food away is such a mark on how prosperous we are as a people. We don't even think about it when we do it, but for the people in the book it was such a big deal and a sort of honor in a way. I just think it was so profound on how the author made it clear how big of a deal it was for the children to "waste" the coffee. I say "waste" because the whole purpose of the children to have the coffee with dinner was so that they could pour it down the drain. People now just waste things and it doesn't affect them all.

I would add for people to read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", but I would have to read it again to see if it is worth it. If I had the same opinion I did freshman year, I would say don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment